THUNDER COVE INN . . .
(The following comments were forwarded to us
by AAA National Member Relations)
(The following comments were left or e-mailed
"This past June my husband, sister, and I had the wonderful
experience of staying at Thunder Cove Inn. We stayed in numerous
hotels and motels in our lifetime, but few could compare with
the wonderful service at Thunder Cove. Dennis, Paula and their
son Brian, went out of their way to not only give us ideas of
places to see, but even mapped out the best routes to go and
places to eat and visit. They told us things you won't find in
the "AAA" tour book. In addition, the place was spotless
and decorated very nicely. Having been a flight attendant for
Pan Am and American Airlines I know exceptional service and attention
when I see it!"
"In calling several hotels from a pay phone, the Thunder
Cove Inn was the only establishment that asked if I were an AAA
member. I let them know we wanted the least expensive room and
we got a clean, tastefully decorated economy room for a great
rate including the AAA discount. On top of that we got little
survival bags of goodies like granola bars and cereal, a continental
breakfast and coupons for reduced or free meals at some of the
eateries in town. The proprietors were very friendly and helpful
and we told them we had a wonderful stay at their establishment"
- 7/3/2006--"Our stay at Thunder Cove has been a wonderful
experience. Clean rooms and a helpful, courteous staff make a hotel
great. The fact that it is entirely non-smoking is a bonus. We
will definitely recommend Thunder Cove to others.
- Thanks for adding to our South Dakota experience!
- Ben & Laurie Williams"
from Bismarck, ND
What a pleasant,
restful night we had a the Inn! It was quiet, beds were comfortable,
room was comfortable, and the complimentary "goodie packages" were
fantastic, plus the casino coupons-way to go-we had fun & surely will
recommend the Thunder Cove Inn to anyone visiting in Deadwood & surrounding
We shall visit
again, and will take more time to look & shop at the gift shop next time we
come throug to stay and play in the Black Hills!
Charles & Marge
- "Hello everybody,
- Our group stayed with you on May 10th 2005.
- 3 Scottish and 2 English people.
- I want to thank you for such an enjoyable stay.
- Your motel was the friendliest, best breakfast and most
reasonable that we stayed at.
- The one lady had phoned ahead to Hot Springs for us
because of the incoming snowstorm.
- Hope you didn't get it too bad. We did have snow
all the way and could hardly see Mount Rushmore and Chief Crazy Horse for
the bad weather.
- We did have about 6 inches of snow at Hot Springs but it
melted away next day.
- I have passed your address on to friends who will be
going to Deadwood in September.
- So I hope they enjoy their stay as much as we did.
- Thank you once again.
- Elsie and John Thrumble and our Scottish friends."
- "To Whom It May Concern,
- My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay
here at this motel. We have never met a manager who helped us
as much as Brian. He has been truly outstanding....
- Also we really enjoyed meeting Alice. She
made our stay delightful."
- "Dear Dennis, Paula, and Brian,
- Just a quick e-mail to thank you for your
great hospitality, we had a real neat time in Deadwood and part
of it was staying with such friendly and helpful people.
- ...hopefully we will be back in the not too
- 6/29/01--"Dear Sirs,
- Last year we had the most memorable vacation, when we
drove West from Chicago to places that included some of the many attractions
in South Dakota.
- One of our personal highlights was Deadwood. We
went to Deadwood with the idea of seeing a Rodeo, but we arrived late on the
last day of a weekly fair. But to our surprise, we found a charming
town with many attractions in and around town.
- There is however one recommendation and suggestion we
would like to make. We think your town could be many times more
attractive and alluring if you would make it more family and kid friendly.
We were traveling with our two sons and found that there were limited
activities that could be done with kids, especially in the evening.
- We understand that the gambling has a clientele that has
made a contribution to the comeback of the city. But we believe that
your town has a tremendous untapped tourist potential if you could advertise
it mainly as a picturesque western town where you can "feel" the frontier
- Although I cannot mention any exact recommendations to
make it family friendly, I can point to you an example in my home state that
was also in the decline, and it is no"w a hot tourist attraction. This
is the town of Galena, where people come from all over to see the quaint
stores, the charming narrow streets, and to have a good time. I
believe Deadwood can be as attractive, if not more, than Galena.
- We hope to be again in Deadwood in our next trip.
- Sincerely Yours
- Gast family"
- 6/10/01--"Your room was very clean and comfortable-we
have recommended your place to friends going to your area."